Friday, February 3, 2012

Weeks 2-5 tl;dr so now by topic: Dancing

Week 2
Swing club officially kinda started on the second week because the first week was very early in the term and not enough time for people to get settled into their schedules. We did 8-count lindy (swing outs), and continued with pure balboa in intermediate. It's funny how there's actually a lot of people from my civil class or taking my classes in Swing Club this term. 

Week 3
That Wednesday there was the dance in Hamilton at the London Tap House. I was unfortunately unable to go because my workload from school and concrete toboggan was just too much. Which was sad but oh well, the next day was the first monthly Swing and Blues night at Frat Burger. This is something I've been excited about because it's modelled after the monthly Imperial Swing and Blues night. No cover, it's better if you buy something, DJ-ed music, and dance as much as you want, very chill. It was super successful in my mind, people had fun. Attendees were people like John, Dean, Nigel, Sarah Kate, Debbie, Arianne, Dan, Dan A., Ryan and Mark. 

I wasn't at Swing Club this Sunday because I was in Montreal for Followlogie! I left late on Friday with Dan and Arianne, and got in a 2 am. Our hostess, Mira, was so incredibly nice! With a house 5 minutes from the workshop area, it was just too darn convenient. On Saturday, I started off with a Balboa lesson from Dominique, and since there were only 4 girls, we got a private lesson from her so that was awesome. Next was 'recycling classic variations and create new ones' with Claudia, who I had seen last year at followlogie. I liked her ways of variations and gave me some ideas. In the afternoon I went to Nina's couples class for slides and jumps. Lastly was a lesson with Lunou that I had been looking forward to because of her energy in charleston. We actually learned the first part of her cabaret performance, neat! Though I've done the frog jump before, the slides were cool idea and I just really like her delivery, so spunky! That night was at the Rialto theatre and just too amazing. I loved it last year and it was even better this year. The cabaret performance was awesome, though it was missing Jo because her plane was stuck in snow in Seattle until really late Saturday. Dancing was great since I knew way more people from Toronto, Montreal, and the US (including Mikey) this time around. The after-band new-blues music really cleared out the house! :P Despite the awesome event and live music, Dan and Arianne were so sick they didn't stay for the dance. Luckily, the sleeping helped for the next day.

Sunday was interesting. I attended Nina's musicality class. Apparently a lesson that John uses as a basis of his lessons, it was about noticing when the different sections of the music occur and to change your style correspondingly. What started becoming apparent was the the leaders were just doing their own thing and kinda showing off, so for practicing it was kinda weird. Since there were so many followers, I started offering to lead when I had no lead available. What was so funny was when dealing in half time (2/2), she's like ok take out the triple steps. I can't count how many people said 'I don't understand' and 'can you show that again'! It's the lazy lindy people, seriously. People who lindy is only lindy with triple steps are gravely mistaken. Anyways, so then I find out since Jo had to reschedule her performance lesson, I missed the first hour because no one said anything. I was so sad! I found Julie-Anne and Amanda and they had the same problem, but they just went to an Evita class, which I wasn't interested in. While deciding what to do I ran into Martha, and decided if she was up to interrupting the class, then so was I. Turned out fine, we got in as they were starting the interesting part of the performance. It was a 'you're all sexy bitches' type of routine, so Martha and I had a laugh when rolling on the ground sexily, head tossing and the splits were involved. 
The colloquium at lunch was interesting to listen to. It's a chance for the instructors to talk about their experiences, challenges and what they're working on as a dancer. 
In the afternoon I took the couples class with Evita called 'commitment issues'. The concepts were simple and I don't think I had a problem with my timing, it's a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. Last was Jo's class on 'walks vs. triple steps'. Building on the fundamental weight shift and balance, that's definitely I've been trying out since then, especially in blues and/or in heels. 
Dan and Arianne took the next class but I headed back to Mira's place. Turns out she's worked part time as Fluevog's French translator and she gets paid in pairs of free shoes. When she found out I'm a new Fluevog fan, she pulled out all of her shoes and bags with pride and it was very cool! I found out she's been to Australia (lived there), Indonesia, and a bunch of places in Asia. She's been dancing for a long time so she knows Dave, Steve, Caitlin, and Nancy too. It was a blast to talk to her. So Dan and Arianne bought some sushi (and I bought soy beans and a grapefruit for the car? such a messy idea!) we were on our way home.

Week 4
Monday night dance was by Matt Weidinger, and after having been at a followers' workshop, I felt empowered, and thus a little silly. Being black light dance, I dressed in all black, and my green remix heels, ha! I had Jo saying 'you're all sexy bitches' stuck in my head, and I probably danced that way :P.

This weekend was TUX the V Toronto exchange. I didn't do the whole thing but I went late Friday evening (Dovercourt), stayed the night at Liz's place, shopped on Saturday during the day, dinner with John, Dean, Erika, Josephine, Beverly, and Brian, and went to the dance on Saturday night (Polish combatants hall). It was pretty good, lots of people, many of whom I had just seen at Followlogie. The general crowd was university-aged and much more flaily-armed that the usual crowd. It was still fun, hanging out with Steve, Caitlin and Lisa at the bar. I had to take a bit of a break on Saturday because I got stomped on. Oh and Elly was super cute and nice to say that she likes watching John and I dance together :P. Shopping on Saturday was very successful, I got some very cool patterned tights that'll be interesting for dance. I picked up two pairs of shoes at Fluevog, one on sale and more everyday, the Hope Bright Side in purple, and the sexy Etta Place in white. 


Both pairs are ridiculously comfortable and I have already been wearing the Hopes with pride at school, though no one's a shoe buff so I get to enjoy them by myself :P.

The following Sunday was the 4th week, we continued on turns that John started the following week, and we started bal-swing in intermediate. At this point for bal-swing, you really need to have that front connection that beginners shy away from cause otherwise, it doesn't work that great. We crammed a lot in the bal-swing lesson with break turn, lollies, and throw outs. I'm excited to continue this weekend.

Week 5
This Monday was a new band, which turned out to be a faster blues band (more Douglas Watson than Matt Weidinger). I had just been thinking earlier that day 'wow, when we have live music we never get the classics', though with this band they did a blues version of 'In the mood' which was cute.

In terms of my summer, I now have quite a few events planned. Earlier I registered (along with Anna) to go to Camp Jitterbug in Seattle for May 25-28. Last week I signed up for Stompology which will be the following weekend in Rochester June 1-3. And just Wednesday I signed up for the All Balboa Weekend in Cleveland. Anna will also be joining me there (a pleasant surprise). I'm really excited for my summer, it will be dance intensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment