Sunday, September 21, 2014

After a long bloggy break..onto new adventures!

The long pause in writing was due to me being in the lab for almost a constant 4 months from March to June, then writing my thesis. I can now proudly say that I submitted my 297 page monstrosity and will be convocating in the fall! I won't be at my convocation, however, since I am now in Lausanne, Switzerland, about to start my PhD at EPFL with Dr. Ian Smith on tensegrity bridges. Tensegrity what? Here's a video of that same concept used for a new Mars rover, but imagine this as a pedestrian bridge...that's what I'm working on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR0AlIwEgSE

To those that I did not have a chance to see before I left, I wish you all the best until the next time I see you and well beyond. The swing dancers of Waterloo, Toronto, and Hamilton: a special thank you for keeping me smiling during stressful times of my masters. The balboa dancers of Waterloo, Toronto, Cleveland, and Chicago: you're amazing people and I'll miss you terribly. My parents: goes without saying, thanks for helping me out as much as humanly possible before I left and being supportive. My advisers and work colleagues: I've learned so much academically and socially through my masters, a big thank you (also take care of my bridge baby while I'm gone!).

Anyway, I've chatted with my new colleagues and I'm excited to get to start a new project. Despite Switzerland and robot bridges being cool, I really went through an emotional roller coaster this summer trying to say goodbye (but not forever) to some people who are very near and dear to me. In the end, I had to finally realise that it wasn't forever, the internet is awesome, and that friendships will prevail over distance (though I did have a few 'wtf am I doing' moments on the plane over). Ran into Amanda Stock and her partner Jono at Pearson who were on my Toronto-Reykjavik flight, but they were Scotland-bound.

So far I have been in Lausanne for a little over a day, where my temporary housing is in central Lausanne. I've found the grocery store, the pub Scott remembers "Les Brasseurs", and a bunch of interesting looking shops. I arrived on a holiday weekend, so things are closed on Monday too. Considering I've got a lot of paperwork to work on, that's kinda a bummer but means more exploring time. This afternoon I went to Ouchy and danced by the lakeside. I met the Lausanne Swing group, organisers, Cedric (also from Toronto), and a few dancers at EPFL who want to start a swing club there. Oh, and making it out to Bern next Saturday for their lindy party (I missed their balboa party on the 19th). It starts already!

On the to-do list is: mobile number, bank account, insurance, register with the canton, get a permanent house, and (my favourite) get a freakin' bike so I don't have to fuss with transit.

So far, people have been really friendly and helpful (since I didn't know of many services that I could take advantage of through EPFL...they're up there with UW on the not communicating thing).

Off to an outdoor concert meow. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment