Tuesday, August 16, 2011

4A, 4B, fall RA, grad studies, blogs, and more dancing

Having my last final on the 9th, it was a while until I started getting the marks back, and all is well! The only one to have not updated yet is law (typical :P). What I proved is that I could totally overload my schedule and still keep on top of everything. By no means am I doing this ever again. Managing six courses, part-time research, swing club, concrete toboggan, and travelling to Miami and Chicago were more than enough, but it was a really fun summer. If I am tempted to make a third term with a sixth course, for my sanity and yours, please stop me :).

The next academic term is shaping up to be
  • CIVE 401 - Project course 2
  • CIVE 405 - Structural dynamics
  • CIVE 415 - Structural systems
  • CIVE 422 - Finite element analysis
  • CIVE 460 - Engineering biomechanics
The last one is the most iffy, it will be either biomechanics or geotech III, both of which are nice but I'm not overly thrown one way or the other. The term will be very structural based (more than enough courses for the structural certificate), and very math heavy. Due to the high level of interest in the topic though, it should be an interesting and perhaps even fun term. Seeing as this will be the standard course load, it might be a nice break (plus once the Iron Ring Ceremony comes in February, the tone will totally change).

I met with Dr. Narasimhan today to figure out what I'll be doing this upcoming term, and it looks interesting. The two projects lined up are:
  1. FEM modelling in Open-Sees of existing MTO highway bridge (either steel or reinforced concrete in Ottawa or Toronto). Later in the term, the team will collect dynamical data and compare it to the models.
  2. Modelling of soil-structure interaction using ABACUS from dynamic vibrations of subways or light rail in the sonic frequencies.
The first month will be starting to dig into the software, the topics, and find reading material to get my foot in the door.

---

One thing I noticed recently is the explosion of blogs in my close circle of friends. Chantelle made a blog to recount her experiences in St. John's, Nfld for her masters. Mike has had and is currently improving his site. John is also totally revamping his blog site by hand without templates. Turlough is interested in a blog as well. I guess we've all hit points in our lives where experiences are worth noting, be it school, work, or hobbies.

---

Recently, I decided that with my work keeping me in Waterloo, I will have time for my hobbies (even moreso than if I was in Toronto). This definitely includes curling and swing dancing. In particular, I decided to really step up the dancing. My aspirations are to gain the experience to teach and to maybe try competing someday. I suppose I miss part of that from figure skating where it was a reoccurring goal. So while maintaining the president position at the UW Swing Club, I'll hope to work more with John, Krister, and Dave/Amanda (through the Hep Cat Hoppers). I also got asked by Turlough if I'd work with him as my dance partner, which sounds like a great idea. I'm very excited! I've got some ideas for this term's upcoming UW Swing Club for fun lessons, cool moves (and maybe an event?). There'll also be beginner lessons for the UW frosh week Variety Night which should be fun and a whole bunch of socializing :).

Next dancing workshop in the wings (still deciding) is the Nick Williams and Sylvia Sykes balboa workshop in Montreal on the weekend of September 24th. Another one for sure is Followlogie in Montreal on the weekend of January 20th. I went last year with Martha, Dave, Amanda, Charlie, Kathleen, and Phil and it was tons of fun.

---

As a side note, I really miss Anna and Chantelle, I got too used to them being around, in particular during the summer.

1 comment:

  1. aww Ann, I miss you too! This summer was amazing! Best so far! and more to come! Maybe even in Nfld? ;)

    ReplyDelete