Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Waterloo dancing, Hamilton dancing, GRE, and Toronto dancing

My dancing shoes and new crinolin for my swing dress
Waterloo dancing
This past Monday was the first dance at the Button Factory in a while. Though it's more work than the pre-setup Maxwell's, that's the new location of the weekly dances starting in September. We get one more dance at Mxwell's music house so that we can hug our favourite bartender Brandon one last time. I had a couple of great dances that night and the ever-growing trend of Pepi's Pizza afterwards with Turlough, Dean, Eva, and John.

Monday also included a small lesson for new masters student at Perimeter Institute all thanks to Luca's organization. The squash court was full and the sound bounced off of the slick white walls like there's no tomorrow. It was brilliant fun. I hope it gets people out to the park on Thursdays, Monday nights, or UW swing club. If they are all like Anna, Giulio, and Luca, this city just got 10 times happier.

Hamilton dancing
It's been too long since I've been to the Hamilton monthly dances. Something called law for civil engineers had an evening class this summer on Tuesdays. It was really fun, danced and socialized with those that I haven't see in ages, also I'm a huge fan of the London Tap House, it's a very neat building. After driving home with Jimmy and Turlough, the night concluded with watching Doctor Who, how awesome.

GRE
This Saturday I write the GRE in hopes to be free to apply to American universities like Cornell and Berkley (my two top US picks). The reason why I picked now to do it (other than the fact that the application deadlines are fast approaching), is that the revised GRE came out in August, and they're offered 50% off for attempting it in August. I figured, why not try? Best of all, the silly language questions like the analogies have been scrapped, and they now have the ability to skip over and come back to questions. After the 3 and something hours writing the exam, I have a bit of time to grab some food then off to...


Toronto dancing
Dovercourt week 3 of 3. It is very obvious that I am no longer in classes given how much I am able to do during the week and the amount of Toronto travelling I get to do.

----
I other news I am off to Vancouver on the weekend of September 23rd to visit profs at UBC and for the Rhythm City Mess Around 2011 (with Thomas Blacharz, Alice Mei, Peter Strom and Naomi Uyama). The weekend after is ULHS that will be fantastic. Southwestern Ontario people, among others, include Steve and Caitlin, Dean, Anna (and ex-Ontarian), John, and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment