Monday, August 29, 2011

GRE - check, Dovercourt - check, end of summer - ...check

After much procrastination throughout, I finally studied and wrote the GRE exam in order to apply to American graduate schools. I have been talking about doing this for a while mainly because everyone I've talked to has always been late themselves and have suggested to me to start early. The reason why I chose to write the GRE now is that since the GRE is being significantly revised (even in the marking scheme), the test was being offered at 50% of the price. I'm assuming the new test would be a deterrant for those inclined to treat it like the SAT and study for a year. I commend anyone who would do this for their patience, I could not do this.

This Saturday was Jack Layton's funeral at Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto at 2:30, which meant my travels to Toronto had to factor this in. The test centre is at Bloor and Sherbourne, so I figured avoiding the Gardiner and just taking the 401 to the DVP was the best option. Leaving at 10 am, I got super lucky and got there at 11:20, the test being at 12:30. I had brought snacks for the road because the test centre didn't allow food/drink, which for a 4 hour exam is pretty cruel. I also had the Kaplan book (for the old GRE), in the car with me, but I wasn't compelled to read any more, 'whatever happens, happens' I thought. Sitting in the Timothy's on the ground floor of the building, I Facebook my friends online to let out my nervous energy through typing. At noon, I popped on the internet and signed up for Followlogie, a follow-centric workshop in Montreal at the end of January. I went last year and I was very happy with my time there. It was also my first major out-of-town workshop. I'm not sure if I'm going to sign up for the solo charleston competition, very likely though. I definitely signed up with Jo Hoffberg's performance team class, who's style I really like because it's fun and quirky (As seen in this year's ILHC performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT2h5WiJ7Qc&feature=related).

Now about the exam, I don't know how much I've agreed not to disclose, which is kinda funny. It started with the issue essay, a bit of a slog right at the beginning but looking back it's the best choice. It was about technology in schools, which was pretty solid. The argument essay was about replacing butter with margarine in restaurants...it felt so weird to write about this for half an hour. So I think I started writing a bit sarcastically, I hope the markers enjoy the break from mundanity. Next was the verbal analysis, oh no! This is my most dreaded section, some fill in the blanks I was like 'what?', some I saw words that the GRE's known to use and I thought 'ha! I was ready for you!'. Next was the math section, I had 35 minutes, I totally finished with 17 minutes to spare :D. Another verbal section, 30 minutes of slight uncertainty and just generally being blazé by this point. Another math section, yay I feel better about myself, starting to wonder how my score's shaping up and when I get to leave. The test has 2 math and 2 verbal sections that counts, but they toss either 1 verbal or math section where they test questions out, doesn't count but they don't tell you which one (obviously). My last section, verbal again, .___. but whatever, I don't bother checking my answers and I'm done. I go through 4 screens of clicking 'Yes, don't cancel my marks and please grade me', I guess if people know they didn't do well and they don't want Harvard to see. They report it was an approximate grade according to the old system (new marking scheme not ready yet). With a possibility from 200 to 800, my verbal was 450 - 550, and math was 750 - 800 (the writing needs someone to actually read it, though I bet a dart board is involved. Kidding.)

Enthralled with my results, I go to the Eaton's centre, walk around for a bit, I go to Martha's house, have sushi and dance at Dovercourt where the night concluded with fried chicken and vegan jambalaya.


----

First day of work today as a research assistant. The morning started off with a bang because I guess my alarm clock wasn't set and last night was a fun (but late) night watching Doctor Who, playing Mario Kart, and watching the stars. Then I realized...I can work from home. So I install OpenSees, an open-source earthquake dynamic analysis software that I'll be using for the existing bridge modelling project. In the afternoon I picked up the ABAQUS DVD I'll need for the subway vibration project, but I do not have a PC for that yet, therefore no static registered IP, therefore no installing the software yet. So today was a bunch of reading of manuals, reading through the original drawings of the bridge, shop drawing-level of rebar detailing and all. OpenSees can be see here. It's finite element analysis with special features for dynamic analysis of structures, it's like a structural engineer just decided, ok I'm going to share the code that I used to augment the basic finite element analysis so that other people can get to work faster. It just makes sense.

I have to say the oddest thing about today was its happily productive and comfortable pace. I corresponded with everyone I needed to, I got lots done, I understand way more about my projects. Normally the first day on the job in the industry involves an office tour, signing a bunch of agreements, the tax papers, a bare desk, sometimes a pile of drawings in order to understand the way they operate, and trying to meet a bunch of people. No suits, no pretentiousness, no HR. Sure, I don't have my PC yet, but I have other stuff to work on. The masters and PhD students that I'm working with (Maria and Asim) are nice and helpful. I don't know, I was worried about like, making sure I show that I'm working, but I suppose that's all based on what you produce, the kind of format I appreciate (I find some industry jobs too stiffling and not concerned with end product). I think I will enjoy this term. A lot.

Now off to dry cleaners, then Maxwell's Music House.

No comments:

Post a Comment