Friday, September 9, 2011

Settling in, modelling, and frosh week

And thus concludes this year's frosh week, folks! For once I was actually involved in it since my sparse attendence of my own frosh week four years ago. I was going to take a picture of the engineering frosh teams that I could see through a window down the hall from my office, but then I realized it was not entirely impressive. I definitely heard the chants, cheering, and praise of Ed Com, I saw the strings of yarn taped along every walkway and lots of hard hats, pink ties, and lanyards.

This past Tuesday I co-taught swing dancing lessons for the frosh Variety Night. Since this event is so free form, there's just a whole bunch of student everywhere overloaded with activities. Even a basic lesson of jig walks in 30 minutes is super speedy. Though it seemed like people enjoyed themselves, tried something new, which for frosh week is what counts.

On Thursday was the student team lunch where the engineering frosh got fed after their morning of junkyard wars. The whole week I was trying to work out how to get the concrete toboggan out to the V1 green, but I didn't know how the display case was locked and who was in charge. After much running around and the people seemingly in charge being away on vacation, I threw in the towel because I didn't want to take off the whole morning from work just to figure it out. When I got to the GNCTR table though, Richard the lab tech pulls up in the CivE truck with the toboggan. It seems the 2013 team got enough people to lift the display case - yes, lift, it's bolted together to slide the panels out but it's not secured to the floor - and loaded the 300 lb sled into the truck. The luncheon turned out great, I conveniently had my laptop so I had the GNCTR 2011 highlights and the RMR segment on loop for people to watch. It was overcast but the weather held out which made it more pleasant, windy as heck though. It's definitely fall now and I'm enjoying it tremendously. Heading out to a forested area for a hike in a few weeks will be very pretty.

----

As for work, I successfully got keys for my office on Tuesday. It's quite silly how the whole process to acquire keys involves civil eng. deparment, student accounts, civil eng. department again, then key distribution. It was a lot of biking around campus for something so simple. Though I had fun parting the crowds of froshlings with my speedy bike while ringing the bell. They have to learn and there's no time like the present!

----

Work-wise, I'm beginning to get somewhere in my work. I understand the basic of Open Sees and I've been using their well-laid out wiki page and examples as a framework for that I need. Turns out that all that the MTO would require is a stick model of the bridge, which avoids me trying to get the 3D slab models to work for the bridge deck. Like any program, you can go into more detail, but at this point, only a theory-level model is required. Due to Open Sees having its own commands, the error messages are complex and hard to decipher, so I've spent a lot of time trying to understand where and what goes wrong.

Since I mastered the 2D framing system, I moved onto a 3D frame and I will be sculpting it to the shape I need. Rather than a simple, equal dimensioned bay 2D frame to use as a basis, the 3D frame example incorporates complex cross sections, being the actual concrete column dimensions with geometrical accurate rebar. This adds a few text files to the program, which I feel some information that I would still require would be buried in there. Another issue is that while I'm currently just augmenting my 2D frame model with 3 dof to a 3D model with 6 dof, I feel that some commands may not operate in the same way or work at all. It's hard to tell with the cryptic error messages. The only way that Asim said you can find the error is just to return a line to the command prompt so that you know if the error happens before or after that ouput.

The end of this week also boasted the installation of and tinkering with Abaqus, the FEM software. The pretty convoluted setup included a static IP to my machine and transferring of an unused license. Now that I think about it, the process was simple enough, it's just that no one who takes care of this type of thing was around for the past two weeks. My first impression is that it's like AutoCAD and Photoshop in the sense that its GUI is complex, technical, and insightful once you know what on earth is going on. I look forward to it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment