Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ultimate Lindyhop Showdown: Day 3

This morning started off with a nice swim in the hotel pool since everyone else was asleep which was refreshing, plus the ceiling was glass so I could watch the rain fall.

At around lunch time, a bunch of us including Toronto, Hamilton, and Waterloo, ventured out to Magazine Street where there is a bunch of shopping, vintage stores, and stuff we had not seen even last year. After spending a bunch of time in Trashy Diva, Erika and I had a nice relaxing time in a nearby café just chatting. You realize that in such a big group, the small intimate conversations are hard to come by. I have to say with all the nuttiness of the big group, this was my favourite part of the afternoon. In the French Market that day was the showdown prelims.

We heard adventures from the guys (Dave, Dean, and John) where they went hat shopping at the Goorin Bros (I approve!) and they met a man in a wheelchair with a dog sometime after the cigar shop that upon them telling him they were from Toronto, he told them they had a messed up mayor. Oh my goodness, people outside of Toronto area know Toronto politics!

This evening's dance was held at Generations hall, a big hall with a second floor balcony and a good dance floor. The competition of the night was the showdown finals and the showcases. Chance and his partner won, but I was quite inspired by some of Sharon's flow and moves. What I also found refreshing was the lack of aerials, this was actual swing dancing, not 'let's throw her around in crazy ways'. This makes it so that what you see is more repeatable on the dance floor.

The late night was again at the US mint, but I almost didn't go because I had a bad pain around my kidney (not a new thing for me but it was pretty darn bad), and I got stomped on pretty fierce. I did  make it, but I hung out outside the dance room blowing soap bubbles with a bunch of folks. I had a good time regardless :) wow, bubbles was a theme of the weekend, I just noticed...

No comments:

Post a Comment