Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ultimate Lindyhop Showdown: Day 4

It was already Sunday! And all through the hotel, not a creature was stirring before 9-10 am. It was a late night before, much fun had by all. Dean was off to the World War II heritage museum, Erika went on a photoshoot with Dave. Dave liked the rain in NOLA and how it worked for photos, I hope his pictures capture that because I too saw the magic of the pouring rain in the French Quarter.

John and I went for a leisurely IHOP breakfast thus I replaced Dean in the 'breakfast buddies' team, and we meandered the French Quarter. And it poured. Oh goodness did it pour. The gutters were overflowing into waterfalls, the second floor downspouts were streaming high velocity jets of water into the middle of the streets, it was really cool. Retreating into a courtyard, we found a little coffee shop where I found the most awesome smelling 'cinnamon bun' and 'red velvet' flavoured coffee beans. I have tried the first one so far at home, but yet to try the second, they smell like happy warmth!

The one thing on my shopping list for New Orleans this year was to buy a parasol since I really wanted one since last year. We wandered the French Quarter and found the one stall with the parasols, and I found a really nice pink and purple one (surprising colours for me, I know!) After having checked out the dancing in the French Market, we went to a Mexican restaurant nearby that Nyree recommended for the table-side guacamole. Avocados, who can resist! The afternoon was more walking and enjoying the French Quarter and meeting up with people after their adventures.

Ee had dinner at Coops again so that Erika could also try it and then headed to Generations hall again for the evening dance. The competitions that night were the partnered slow dancing and solo blues dancing. I don't know, I mean sure they're good dancers, but I don't really understand the solo blues dancing. Or at least I don't know why just the most daring should win, I can more appreciate the control and isolation of movement (so I liked Sharon's dancing more than Evita's).

After the dance we stopped at Café du Monde, which we had to make sure we got to before we left (like last year, we went on the Sunday night). Beignets, powdered sugar, coffee, and paper hats. It's always a fun time, especially since Dean finds something interesting to do with icing sugar and 4 days of unshaven face!

Erika and I passed up on the late night (at Maison) since her flight was around 6 am and had to leave the hotel around 3:45 and I had had my fill for the evening. Dean and John went onwards, but soon returned to the hotel because it was the soul night (so it wasn't the swing they were hoping for) and a lot of people didn't show for the same reason Erika didn't. Though it seemed like she was going to fall asleep, Erika made her taxi and was off to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment