Sunday, June 10, 2012

30 Day Swing Challenge: Day 5


Day 5: Your Favourite Lindy Hop variation dance (charleston, balboa, shag)

Hmm, I've been really interested in learning balboa (seeing as that I am currently in Cleveland for the All Balboa Weekend). I like the fact that it is subtle and elegant but that it still has the swing dancing lines (the bent leg, twists in the hips, or foot flicks) unlike ballroom. Called the 'dancer's dance' it's the dance I find myself smiling the most in because I read his lead and we stylized a really nice move. On the solo dance front, I'm a huge fan of solo Charleston. I love the empowerment of being able to say 'darn right, this song is killer and I don't need no silly lead so that I can dance', and just claim some dance space for myself. I actually did that on the Sunday night of Camp Jitterbug this year for the last song that the Careless Lovers played (naturally 'Black Coffee') and it was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment